Sunday, March 16, 2008

ACC Billy




It's the ACC...

I don't know about you but I was shocked when Billy pACCker asked NCAA Tournament Chairman Tom O'Conner about the lack of ACC representation in this year's tourney. The tourney chairman talk is one of the top two most awkward interviews of the year. The other being the Butler Cabin talk with the Master's winner. Jim Nantz spends an inordinate amount of time congratulating the committee chairman. Why are we congratulating this guy? It's 34 teams, 28 of those are givens. They are choosing six teams from a pool of 12. Yet Nantz congratulates this guy like he just split the atom, "And please pass along our congratulations to the entire committee. "

Anyway, if you missed Billy pACCker's portion of the interview here is my transcript:

Billy: "Tom, I don't know if you know this, but the ACC cut the bottom out of the peach basket and you stuffed shirts could only see fit to give them four spots, what gives?"

Tom: "Well, Billy, we don't really look at conference affiliation."

Billy: "Tom, the ACC is the greatest collection of skilled basketball players this side of the NBA and you could only find four teams?"

Tom: "Again, Billy, we are just looking at teams, not conferences."

Nantz: "Again, Tom, congratulations on saving mankind by selecting 65 teams and bracketing them in four regionally named sections of 1-16."

Tom: " Really Jim, there is no need for congratulations, we do this every year and I might add..."

Billy: "Tom, did you guys not realize the ACC ended the Roman and Byzantine empires? FOUR TEAMS?"

Incidentally, Clemson was going to be my dark horse team but I've heard too many people say that. I guess I need another choice.

A Quick SEC note...

There's a Kentucky fan who is considering a class action lawsuit against the SEC due to the cancellation of SEC Tournament games. He actually made this quote in an AJC story:

"Come Monday I will be filing in Fayette (Ky.) Circuit Court a class action suit against the Georgia Dome," said Kentucky fan Stephen Gray McFayden of Lexington. "I'm going to be seeing who I can sue and for what."

It should have been near impossible to stand at the epicenter of $200 Million in damage caused by a tornado and make this quote. Something tells me this Big Blue fan had no problem doing it. I have a better idea: thank God for the fact that you lived through an F2 Tornado hitting the Georgia Dome during the SEC Tournament and head back to Lexington. You stay classy Bluegrass State.

The field of 64 tips Thursday, hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ryan,
Slow down buddy. Pace yourself. One blog and its only March. You really think you can blog twice this year?