Tuesday, April 8, 2008

It Finally Caught Up With Them.



NCAA Championship

I will admit that I thought free throws would knock Memphis out of the NCAA Tournament prior to Monday night. The Tigers were the best team in this tournament. they were not the most complete team. Free throw shooting is just as much a part of basketball as offense, defense and the press. The Tigers had a national championship if they just hit free throws. I felt happy for Bill Self. He seems like a pretty good guy who has been under immense pressure at Kansas. I always like to see guys like that get the monkey off the back.

Mario Chalmers hit the huge bucket that forced overtime which will ensure that you one day hear this line: "This weekend only at Mario Chalmers Chrysler/Dodge, Kansas City, Omaha and Topeka".

By the way, Jim Nantz gave us this call "Rock, Chalk, Champions". Not too bad, I guess.

Masters

I have given you a picture of how Jim Dunaway would look on the PGA Tour. ---------->
The Masters begins Thursday morning in Augusta. I have mixed feelings about the tournament. I have never really liked the snooty way Augusta goes about their business. I have always liked watching the tournament. I does create a roller coaster of emotions. I go from glued to the TV during the tournament action to throwing up in my mouth when I hear: "Let's go to the Butler Cabin".

The most awkward part of the weekend is the champion's interview. It is always facilitated by Jim Nantz but it has been tradition to allow the club chairman to ask the first question. It has always been insightful stuff like, "you must be happy" or "you really played well". Both questions are pretty obvious, "yeah, Mr. Simpson, I just won the Masters". The best of all-time was past chairman Hord Hardin who asked Seve Ballesteros this probing question, "My, you are tall". Billy Payne is the current chairman. He is infinitely better in front of the camera than any of the others.

If you are in a Masters pool, and I don't know how many of you do that sort of thing, always remember that the same general people play well at Augusta. Even though a guy may be having his best year ever, if he does not have a good history at this course, he probably will not play well. Good sleeper pick: Fred Couples.

Totally Random

Here is an interview from The Big Lead with Oregonian columnist John Canzano. It might have zero interest to you but the second question about his good Trailblazer stories blew me away.

No comments: